Monday, August 17, 2009

STORIES ARE IMPORTANT TO FAMILIES!

I have always thought that stories in a family are important. No I don't mean gossip. I hate gossip and don't like to be associated with it. I mean stories... history!

My dad was a story teller. He could tell a joke if he didn't start laughing so hard until he was crying before he even got to the punch line! But Dad and my father-in-law, Lynn could tell stories about their ancestors and about dumb stuff like the time a couple of Dad's brothers went on a triple date. They dropped the girls off at their homes and then drove home. One of the brothers was asleep in the back seat so the other two brothers coasted the car into the garage and shut the door. Later in the night the sleeping brother woke up, didn't know where he was, got out of the car and walked into the side of the garage. Needless to say the next day he was black and blue and had a real shiner on his forehead. His other two brothers told their parents that the sleeping brother had gotten into a fight downtown and they had to bring him home. He was furious with his brothers. But they laughed about it for years.

And the stories always continued about how the ancestors had homesteaded the farm in Nebraska and that the farm had been in the family for over 100 years.... and on and on!

Then this last week my sister, Susan from Wisconsin came out to see Mom and the family and brought her three dear granddaughters from Minnesota. We went for a picnic and then to feed the ducks the other night and in the car with just Evie and me, when Bethany (age 12 going into 6th grade) stated publicly, "I just love our family and the stories!!!!!"



Bethy spending time with Jo-Jo (a second cousin)!
She's a sweetie! So is Jo!

I haven't forgotten that line, "I just love our family and the stories!" Here is a 12 year old who loves the stories. I know it gets a little too much to be in the same room with me and my twin brother when we get telling stories. Sometimes it gets deeper in the room by the minute. But so what if we tell the same dumb jokes we have told for years. My dad did the same thing. And that is the thing I miss about dad who died a number of years ago. I can't call him up anymore and tell him stories and jokes and hear stories from him.

Then today, we went to Minnesota to spend the day with Aunt Lila Jean. She is the only living sibling of Evie's mom's family and it is so much fun to spend time with. Today Evie looked at Lila and said, "Lila, tell me about your living on the farm west of my folks. What do you remember about it?" She went on to share about how Grandpa McMillian (Lila's grandfather on her mother's side) lived with them. That was the first I had ever heard of that before! It reminded me that there are stories that are eventually not going to be able to be told because these aunts and uncles, parents and siblings won't be around to tell them to us.

I just wonder when my nephews and nieces will start their story telling days? And they will wish one of us were around to answer their questions. In the meantime, I plan on telling and listening to as many stories I can from my family!

Love ya,

Markus

P.S. I just realize, the reason I have this blog is because it allows me to tell old and new stories! Hope you enjoy!

No comments: