Friday, August 7, 2009

I HAVE THE TWO BEST BROTHERS!

About 5 years ago, we experienced the 100 year flood in Sioux Falls as was the case in many other areas of the upper Midwest. I was on my way to Minneapolis for one of doctoral classes and couldn't miss for ANY reason (thus stated the professor!). Well, the old sump pump couldn't keep up the water coming in to the sump hole and so we got flooded. At least it wasn't sewage water! That meant taking some of the sheet rock off the walls in the family room which other than the bathroom was the only room completed in our basement.


Steve and me doing finishing touches!

Evie and Diane having a good laugh together!
So that room has sat basically empty since 5 years ago until this summer. My two brothers who are good with tools and their wives who are also very talented came for our annual brother reunion and they had decided ahead of time that we would tackle Mark and Evie's room in the basement.

Me, Steve and Diane discussing how to hammer a nail! (How many people does it take to hammer one nail!)

What I thought would be the significant thing about having my brothers and my sister-in-laws coming would be we would get that room put back together and I could start using that for an office once again. But what I learned in the days following was that a lot of love took place in that room for several days. We laughed, drank pop, burped, fluffed and just had fun together. While it was nice getting that room back to it's normal usage again, what was more important was the time I had not just with my brothers but my sisters-in-law as well. It is also nice when one's wife likes her in-laws and I think it is pretty mutual.


The Twins (me and Tim) supervising the project and telling stupid Ole and Lena jokes or something! Probably something about buying a Chinese restaurant together when we retire!!!!!

One day as we were talking, one of my brothers said, "You know, it has been so nice getting to know you two brothers as adults!" I thought about the fact that my older brother (5 years older) who shared a room together really was in a different world than the two twin boys. Steve left home when I was in 6th grade and while we have visited one another in our homes, until now it just hasn't really clicked.


Steve and Barb doing some finishing touches!


I love my brothers and their wives and thank God for them. Here are some pictures I will share with you from our remodel project! Enjoy!


Markus







No comments: