Wednesday, April 15, 2009

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE FAMILY!

This past weekend, our daughter Carrie and son-in-law (or we call him our son) Marc with a C (I am Mark with a K or now Markus) drove from Texas to visit us and other family for 5 days. Did we have a wonderful time or what! I didn't want to let them leave Tuesday morning and go back home and they didn't either. We look forward to their returning to the Upper Midwest after Marc graduates from seminary! Carrie is ready to move tomorrow!

What two wonderful adult friends I have in my life! They are so cool and I love to watch them and their relationship with one another and with God! I sure wish I had my ducks in a row like the two of them do at that age. They have made such good decisions about their money, etc. Sure didn't get it from me!

I loved being a dad of a baby and small child. I enjoyed elementary school and most of middle school. High school with Carrie was pretty good but she was a teenager after all. College was better and then she graduated, got married to Marc and moved away and our relationship started to change from my being the dad (Mr. Authority) to Mr. Dad Friend! It is great when one has kids who want to spend time with them and the same is true for Evie and me towards Marc and Carrie. We got to watch them interact with their friend's children and look forward to the possibility of grandchildren perhaps someday (it's in their long range plan after Marc graduates from seminary!). But we can just hang out together. And I appreciate Marc's folks and extended family who all invited Evie and me over for Easter dinner to make things easier for Marc and Carrie. Betty and Larry are great people!

Then to spend time with my family on Sunday night was special as we shared funny stories and all couples shared how we had met and proposed to one another (Evie and I have different stories about how our proposal went however!) On the way home, Marc commented, "Man that was cool how your family shared those things with one another!"

So those of you with younger children, especially teenagers, hang in there! You will get through those various stages and great things are in store for you as your child/children move into adulthood! I highly recommend it!

Love,

Markus

No comments: