I feel sorry for most of you who read this blog except for my brothers and sisters who know what I mean when I talk about the "B & E"! The what? That's correct, "B & E'! It was a small little sandwich/ice cream shop across the street from our house in Jefferson, IA! For a small kid, having the B & E across the street meant that one had died and gone to heaven. But it also meant that my weekly allowance seldom lasted 2 days into the week because once I filled my church envelope, the remainder went to support my habit at the B & E!
B & E stood for a wonderful couple by the name of Bert and Eleanor who ran the place. Their home was actually attached to the B & E and whenever they were in their home and the B & E was open, once you walked into the store, a bell rang and one of them would walk through a small door and down some steep steps to wait on us with a smile. They were GREAT people! They loved kids. And whether it was a lime cone, a chocolate dipped cone or a Green River soda, no one could ever match the wonderful taste of their product! In fact, I have NEVER had a Green River since that ever tasted as good as it did from the B & E! Ask my twin brother, he spent most of his weekly income too at the B&E as well!
There was nothing better than on a hot summer day going to the B & E where it was air conditioned, from a house without air condition! Whenever I watch reruns of Andy Mayberry, it is like taking me back to Jefferson and the B & E! If you ever wanted to have that experience, sorry, it is too late. The last time I visited Jeff , the B & E had been changed into a beauty salon! I didn't want my nails done so didn't go inside to visit!
Just a chapter in my life that is gone but oh the memories! I will never forget my business transactions and learning to count out 41 pennies in order to pay for my food. The interesting thing was, I don't ever recall ordering a burger or fries at that place! Man, that would have been a month of allowances in order to go to that level!
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment