Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WHO IN THE HECK ARE YOU?

Several weeks ago Evie and I had gone to an area restaurant where we had dinner. As we were sitting in a booth, an elderly couple (actually they were even older than we are!) came over to our table. The man came over first and said, "Well how are you kids doing?" as he reached out his hand for a handshake. He proceeded to ask us how we were doing and how was life. We gave him rather short answers and wondered where the conversation would take us. He proceeded to ask me how I was doing after my knee surgery this summer. By that time his wife had joined our table and was extremely friendly towards us. The wife of the couple proceeded to talk about her congested heart problems and how she had been in the Heart Hospital in Sioux Falls this summer as they tried to figure out what was wrong with her.

After a short time of visiting they indicated that they needed to leave and said goodbye. We said goodbye feeling guilty because both Evie and I felt as if we hadn't exactly exhibited much warmth throughout our shared conversation with this couple.

After we knew the couple was away from the restaurant Evie looked at me and said with a grin on her face, "Just who were those people?" I looked at her and said, "I have no idea, I thought you knew them!" We proceeded to laugh until we practically fell out of the booth at the restaurant!

We sat there trying to figure out who that couple was. I thought they might be the people down the block who used to mow our elderly neighbor's lawn. Evie commented that the man was too tall to be that couple. We immediately ran through a litany of parents of our friends and couldn't match up their faces with any of those people. Upon arriving back home, Evie went through our church directory and again didn't strike gold!

The thing that caused us so much grief was the fact that this couple seemed to know all about my knee surgery this summer. I even went through the people I had met at the hospital and in P.T. that followed and again, no luck!

Since then we have discussed that story and wondered if the couple perhaps thought we were rather cold towards them and hoped they hadn't figured out that we didn't have a clue who they were! Definitely another chapter in our married life!!!

Marko

No comments: