I hear and read about a lot of people complaining. Sometimes I contribute to that practice as well. But I am working on it. Whether it be a church, a college, your salary, your job, professors, spouses, children, prices for gas and food, etc. we all seem to be able to find things to complain about.
But what I am working on is to be content in all things as Paul writes in the New Testament in the Bible. That is a challenge because the world complains about almost everything. Because they are seeking answers from the world and not from God. Some say to believe in God, one is weak. I totally disagree. To have faith, one must trust and today trusting is a huge issue for people. By trusting, one surrenders whether it be to God to other people.
I love my job. I work as a Career Development and Disability Services Specialist. I get to work with absolutely the best students I have ever known. They are polite, have a great spirit and teach me things each day. While they try to act like adults, sometimes they slip and their behavior resembles that of middle school and high school students.
All they ask is to be accepted and loved. Treating them as equal adults is something they respect and dearly desire. In the process I get to witness student development in action and that is about the neatest thing to view in my mind. I recently had a first year student at the University where I work I was counseling and towards the end of our session, he looked at me and said, "Mr. Patterson, I want to thank you." I asked him why and he responded with, "I am 19 years old and you are the first adult I have ever met who has treated as an adult!" He had tears in his eyes. We connected through our eyes and then both smiled. I thought for a moment and responded with, "That is the only way I know how to operate. You are a great young man and God has wonderful things in store for you and your life. You just need people who don't criticize but who support you and your dreams! He responded with, "Wow, that is a cool thing!"
Parker Palmer in his small but significant book, "Let Your Life So Speak" writes, "Vocational doesn't come from reaching for a goal but rather from the Latin word, Voice. In order to succeed in your life, you first of all have to listen to what your heart is saying. It isn't a goal out there to receive but rather a voice inside to listen to!" That is the foundation of my work at USF.
When I hear pastors talk about their significant ministries I laugh and think to myself, what else do you know but functioning within the walls of the Church. I recall hearing a pastor who made a public comment about God's calling when he said, "The greatest calling in a person's life is to be a pastor!" I about fell out of my chair! I just couldn't let that room of seminary counseling students leave with that impression. I raised my hand and said, "Rev. ___________, while I appreciate you and your work, but I have to totally disagree with your statement. For I think the greatest calling in a person's life is when they know that what they are doing is their calling!" Many people later thanked me for my comment.
While I might not have a baptistry or a pulpit in my office like a pastor, I also don't have the same expectations people have of pastors and all the walls that are placed between them and laypeople. I get to minister to each student who visits my office. Sometimes it through a smile, a kind word, an affirmation for their life and career goals, praying together, giving them a much needed hug, handing out tissues and letting them cry about how sad they are because their parents are getting a divorce or just listening.
The key for all of us is that the ministries God gives us are not ours. Without God's grace and mercy that we are blessed to bestow on others, we wouldn't look any different than the rest of the world. If we are ever going to make a difference in this world, it has to start with you and me. Does that mean we are perfect and have it figured out? Are you kidding me? We are a work in progress and as Christians by letting others see our struggles and challenges, they experience REAL people and hopefully Christ.
That is my sermon. Shoot, who needs a pulpit!!!!
God bless you all!
Love,
Marko
No comments:
Post a Comment