Monday, January 12, 2009

What's In a Name Anyway?

Wow, I decided after visiting my daughter and son-in-law over Christmas to do more blogging in 2009. So far I am doing a pretty good job. Certainly a little better than my son-in-law who hasn't updated his blog since last Feb.or March! Just kidding Marc!

Is it Marc or Mark? Gee thanks Carrie. Of all the guys you could have dated and married, you had to find a guy by the name of Marc! But seriously, I wouldn't want anyone else for my son-in-law. Marc, you are the best thing that has happened to Carrie and also to our family!

I like the name Marc better than Mark now that I have met my son-in-law. A lot of my friends call me Markie, often Markus and sometimes Marko. My wife calls me Marko a lot and I like it. But Markus has been going through my mind for the past year. Nothing against my parents, but I sure wish they had named me Markus instead of Mark.

It wasn't until the other night while I was having a cup of tea with my friend Donoso that he suggested I not change my legal name of Mark but that I start having people call me Markus! So I announced that to my wife last Saturday. I know Evie looked at me with surprise until I reminded her that her real and legal name is Evelyn but while teaching in her first school in Nebraska, the custodian started calling her Evie and all of us know her by that name now!

So Donoso called me Monday morning and said, "How is my friend Markus?" I almost looked around the room and asked who he was talking about and then realized that Donoso had taken me seriously.

So for those of you that want to call me Mark, that's great. It is a good name. Those that have always called me Marko, keep it up. To Denny Thum, a close friends who I call Denny, you are one of the few friends that may still get by calling me Markie! For the rest of you, try Markus if you want and I promise I will respond.

I told Evie to relax. I know some times when a guy changes their name they are also announcing another change in their life (know what I mean?!) No, that is not the case here. And I certainly don't mean to offend my dear, dear Mother and Father who named me. But Mom wouldn't care. She would simply say, "If that makes you feel better, you are an adult!"

Is this a mid-life change? I don't think so. I have just liked the name Markus for most of my life. I guess one way to think about it, at least I didn't choose Lisa or Edith or Ferdinand!!!!!

Yours...

Markus

No comments: