Why do I feel like I am ready for the nursing home? As I have shared earlier, I am scheduled for a total knee replacement later this month. Last week someone gave me a chair to use in our shower. Then today a friend called and they brought over an toilet extender with handrails and a walker. While I am appreciative of these loans, I have spent today feeling like I am getting ready for the home. You know, not my home where I live but the BIG home, the nursing home! Shoot, I have all of the equipment I need to get prepared! So why not? It would sure make it easier for Evie not having to take care of a whining husband for a number of weeks. One thing my friends said as they left our home today was, "You are going to feel a lot better after this is over!" Over with what? Surgery? Physical Therapy? Hospital food? Trying to sit on the throne in the bathroom watching my feet dangle 3 feet off the floor? Using a walker that my mother or mother-in-law would use?
So you can see pride is a real issue for me. I am beginning to realize that the surgery and recovery might be the easy part. Allowing people to help me and looking like a 80 year old man walking down the sidewalk using a walker. So I am praying that God would use this time to teach me. Teach me about healing not just in the physical sense but in an emotional and spiritual sense. I will keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment