Instead, God has placed a lot of older people in my life through the years who have taught me many lessons about life and how they see it through a different lens than the rest of us. Here are some of the lessons I learned from old people I want to share with you.
Pearl Shadle (an elderly woman in my father's church) who would say: "You done good. You always done good!" and "Life just don't get no better!" She always had a positive view of life!
Grandpa Warnemunde (Evie's grandfather who lived past the age of 100 years): "Follow me and you'll wear diamonds" and "It's as good as giving candy to a baby!" When asked one time how life was going for him, he responded with, "Well sir, I have a place to sleep and good eats. What more does a man need in life!"
O.J. Dickinson (an elderly man in my home church) who taught me to love the land, to be good to all people and to love middle school and high school young people. I have several young men at church who specifically look me up each Sunday for their weekly hugs! Kids need to know they are important to older adults!
Bruce Lillgigren (family insurance agent) who always (and I mean always) would shake hands and leave me with a fresh stick of gum!
Jesse (A client I worked with as a social worker) "Ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham, ham. I like ham. Do you like ham? Ham, ham, ham, ham, ham!" In case you are wondering, Jesse liked ham! If she had ham, she ws having a good day!
Rosie (from the Greene County Poor Farm) who consistently would yell out when my father was presiding at worship services that her favorite hymn was,"The Yeller Rose of Texas!" She taught me that contemporary worship can be good!
Dean Capps who spent an entire Saturday afternoon helping my twin brother Tim and I make homemade boats and then helped us race them in his cow watering tank! That was cool! He and his wife Mary taught me that investing in the lives of young people always has a positive return!
Elizabeth (a former client who spent 43 years in a mental hospital) who consistently each day I saw her when I greeted her would say to me, "I'm alright, You alright?" Now try saying that without teeth and it fun! Elizabeth taught me that life was pretty basic!
Mrs. Smith - an elderly woman who was blind who hired my sister Sue and I would tag along as we slept at her house each night so she could continue to live at home. She taught me that not having to share a bed with a sibling was great!!!
Mrs. Pulley (our next door neighbor) Who didn't like kids and spent most days sitting by her window knocking on the glass telling us to stay away from her lawn, her house and her life! I used to think, "I wonder what it would take to make Mrs. Pulley happy?" I learned what is grass in the life of a kid? She taught me that one can either be afraid of the world or invest in it!
My Dad, Frank Patterson who could rarely tell a story where he wouldn't laugh before the punchline and then be laughing so hard his eyes would tear up! Dad, each year I get more and more emotional. My wife tells me that is OK! A good quality! Thanks Dad for that great quality.
Who would wear shoes with cardboard in the bottom but yet make sure his 5 children always got a new pair of leather shoes and a pair of tennis shoes from J.C. Penney each year! Dad and Mom never made me feel poor! How did you guys do it?
Grandma Joy who had the best cookie jar with at least 50 different kinds of cookies. Most of them were old and hard but they still tasted great. Also the time my sister Susan and I stayed several days with Grandma. Grandma asked us what we wanted for lunch? We said, "B.L.T. Sandwiches!" So we did. Then supper. B.L.T. sandwiches. We ended up having B.L.T. sandwiches for about 5 or 6 meals in a row! I am still alive and still love B.L.T. sandwiches.
My mother, Eva Alice Patterson - Mom taught me the gift of hospitality and her tremendous faith in God. Mom also taught me that one cannot put God in a box! She was an example in that she wore the same winter coat for 7 years to make certain her kids had coats and hats and gloves each year. Mom also taught me how to play the piano, something I continue to do to this day!
O.R. and Ali Patrick - an elderly couple who believed that a good day always involved a small dish of peppermint ice cream!
Kenny Kringle (local railroad station master) who taught my brother and I that trains are for all all ages of kids!
Sid Davis - farmer who hired my twin brother and I to walk what started as 30 acres of beans and ended up being over 300!
Lynn Petersen (my father-in-law). A hard working farmer who believed you always left your land better than how you found it. One day he paid another farm $200 for some hay he apparently had bought years earlier. This other farmer had shared with other people over coffee that Lynn hadn't paid him for the hay. So Lynn and I went over to this guy's house where he gave him a check for payment. When I asked Lynn why would he pay this guy when he knew he had paid him earlier. I will never forget this response, "Well sir, it's like this, isn't a man's integrity and reputation worth $200?!" I always respected Lynn after that because I knew the kind of character he exhibited as a Christian man. Lynn wasn't highly educated but was a very intelligent man!
A.O. Larsen - I worked with A.O. when I was a young professional. One of the things he taught me was about not forgetting that I should NEVER put my wife down in public. If I have a problem with Evie, I need to talk with her. That Evie and I are a union. While we remain individuals, we became one through our marriage. My job is to love her and to build her up. That is why Evie continues to be my first love and my best friend. I am truly blessed to have her as my wife and partner for almost 29 years!!!
Some new names I have added recently:
RAMONDA ATHENS: Ramonda and I worked together for only 1 1/2 years when I first got out of graduate school (M.Ed.) and started as this 32 year old know-it-all Director of Career Planning and Placement at what was then Westmar College. Westmar closed in the 1990s after many years struggling to find its' identity. Ramonda was my part-time secretary. I loved that woman. She was so wise. I remember the first day she walked into my office and said, "Little guy, I think we are going to get along real well but I need to tell you something." I thought, OK, here it comes. What did I do now? She looked at this small room that was actually a closet next to my office. It had a massive amount of file cabinets in it. Ramonda looked at me and said, "See these files? These are credential files. See me? See you? Those are MY files! Leave those files alone and we will get along just fine!" She immediately made that statement and then just laughed her head off as she realized she had just told her new boss how things were going to be! But Ramonda loved me and loved the students. She would do anything for any of us. What was hers was mine (except credential files). A very loving and generous person. Ramonda died a couple of years ago and the world changed because it lost a wonderful, wonderful lady and friend who helped get me started in what has become my career helping people get jobs in this crazy, crazy world!"
MARY FEDDERS: Not much older than me. She helped me learn about service to others. What a servant heart. No one like Mary. We worked together for 20 years. She still works in financial aid at USF so we get to see one another every once in awhile. Mary wasn't just an employee but a friend and still is. She not only taught me about work but about parenting and grace. It got me through some challenging teenage years. It was always good advice too! Mary and Rich (her husband) became family to us through the years and we always knew we could call on them if we needed help. Mary is a gracious servant who will be arranging receptions in heaven someday! She just has that gift of hospitality like no one I know. A friend for life!
No comments:
Post a Comment