I realize we don't always marry our best friend. But I did! Almost 29 years ago I married my best friend, Evelyn (we call her Evie) Petersen and man has my life been fantastic ever since! She is the best person I know in this world. Evie wakes up each morning thinking and praying for the world and all of us in it and thinking of things she might do to make life better for people. Whether it be 3rd graders at West Central School where she teaches, her family, her sisterhood groups (group of women from our church and another group from her school) or a cat or dog on Animal Planet! Evie loves the world! She has kept me from being this negative, grouchy man who would tend to look at the glass of water as being half empty. Evie has a laugh that shakes the room. They say she has the personality of her Grandma Petersen. Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet her grandma.
Through our years of friendship, courtship and now marriage, I have seen her grow spiritually as well. Often she has lead our family spiritually when I failed to step up to the plate. But she always has done it in a very loving and supportive way. Evie knows just when to push and when to pull back. God knew what I needed in a mate and He gave me Evie. If you don't know her for some reason, give me a call and we will have you over. I can assure you, you won't leave our house hungry. She is a fantastic cook. Even after a long day with 21 third graders, she often comes home and after doing menu planning in her carpool, jumps in to cooking a great dinner for us. Evie knows how to make a house a home. When God gave me Evie, he gave me a part of Him.
I am getting ready for surgery next Tuesday and Evie will be there. She even mentioned that she might stay overnight at the hospital. When I told her no that she needed to go home and sleep in our bed, her response was, "I'll see!" And that is what Evie will do. No matter what I say, Evie will see. And her seeing is always the right thing at the right time and place.
Thank you God for giving me the best mother to our daughter and son-in-law and husband and friend to me. Why would you bless me the way you have through Evie. It is something I don't deserve nor will ever understand.
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment