Sunday, May 17, 2009

TIME OUT!



It has been years since I have experienced "Time Out"! In fact, I am not sure the term "Time Out" was used when I was a kid. If it had been used, I am sure I would have spent most of my childhood in "Time Out" back then!

Well last night, Evie and I went over to spend some time with my brother and his wife and have pizza with Josiah (see above!) and Isaiah (their grandsons). We had a wonderful time with Barb and Tim and the boys as we call them (Joe-Joe and Ziah). Every time we arrive at Andy and Sara's house, we are met by the greeting committee which consists of Josiah (4 1/2 years old) and Isaiah (not yet 2 years old). They always make a person feel like they are the most important person when they arrive at their house.

After dinner Evie and Barb and the two boys went outside to play. Tim asked me if I wanted to go out on the back deck and sit and visit. I told him I needed to go to the car and get my jacket. So I went out of the house without my shoes on to get my jacket.

I was greeted by Josiah and asked me immediately where my shoes were? I told him I was sorry but I had to get my jacket. Isaiah greeted me as well and told me to watch him drive his little car. I stood in the middle of their driveway talking and Josiah just wouldn't let it go that I didn't have any shoes on and I was outside.

So at that moment Josiah reminded me that I was bad that I didn't have any shoes on and that I was outside. He looked at me and said, "Uncle Mark, you go to time out!!!!!!" TIME OUT I thought. I can't believe this is happening to me. I have just been sent to time out by a 4 1/2 year old who knows from experience what time out means (not that he is a bad kid or anything!).

So I marched back into the house and Josiah followed me inside and said, "Mark, you sit on the steps!" So I sat on the steps leading upstairs. Apparently that is where time out is conducted at their house. I sat there and Josiah kept saying, "Mark, you are in time out!" It was like he was glad to see someone else besides he and his brother experiencing time out. I was trying not to laugh my head off for being in time out!

About that time my twin brother Tim called to me, "Hey Mark, come on outside and sit with me!" Before I could respond Josiah responded with, "Grandpa, Uncle Mark was bad, he has to be in time out!" I could hear Tim laughing out on the back deck. So Tim, trying to rescue me said, "Joe, let Uncle Mark get up and come outside. Joe you come out and leave Mark alone!" Joe responded with, "No Grandpa, I am sitting next to Uncle Mark in time out!" After what seemed like 30 minutes which was probably 30 seconds I looked at Josiah and said, "Joe, I am sorry I walked outside without my shoes on. May I get up now!" Joe thought for a moment and responded with, "OK, you can get up Mark!"

I got thinking last night after I got home from Andy and Sara's about my experience with "Time Out" at Joe-Joe's house. There are times in my life I need "Time Out". But Jesus Christ through God's sacrifice of His son, has taken away all of the "Time Outs" for us. What a gift. We can mess up again and again and know that God loves us so much to send Jesus to the world that there will be no more "Time Outs"!

What a neat thought! Thanks Josiah for the reminder of what God has done for all of us! So stop punishing yourself and don't put your life in "Time Out" anymore! If you need a lesson in that, just spend sometime with Josiah and Isaiah, two of God's special boys in this world! What a gift. Thanks Sara and Andy and Barb and Tim for allowing Evie and me to hang out with these guys and to learn more and more about God's love.

Last night as Evie and I were laughing about the great evening we had with the boys, she commented how neat it was when at one point she looked at Isaiah and said, "Isaiah, I love you!" Isaiah who just amazes me with his language skills responded with, "Love you too Evie!" Another God reminder of how He loves us and has brought these two special boys into our lives and family to remind us of His love.

Blessings!

Markus

No comments: