So many times we are like mice running around a wheel and wonder why we never really seem to get anywhere! Then something happens and we realize what is REALLY important in this world and in our lives! Well that happened to me yesterday.
One of my dear Christian friends who Evie and I consider to be our sister because of how close we have become through the years. Our daughter Carrie has coined the phrase., "Intentional Relative" and I kind of like that term when I think about my non-biological brothers and sisters in my life. But my "Intentional Sister's" mom or Nana as she likes us to call her, had hip surgery yesterday morning. Evie and I had collected a cane, crutches, a stool for the shower and a walker that Nana could use in her recovery. I had benefited from these things when I had knee surgery last summer.
One of things I mentioned to my sister several days ago was that I would be more than pleased to sit with her during the time her mom was in surgery. Evie had to work that day at school and so I made the offer. I wondered if she might feel weird because of my being a man or something like that. But the day before surgery, my sister called and asked if I would be available to sit with her during her Mom's surgery. I said yes and was honored.
I arrived a few minutes before Nana was scheduled to go into surgery because I wanted to be in the waiting room for my Christian sister. She came in and was glad to see me already there waiting for her. She and I prayed for her mom before her surgery and then sat and just talked. We didn't talk about work or anything else. We talked for what seemed like hours about how good God is in our lives and the great things he is doing. It was wonderful. My goal was to be there to support her and help keep her mind off of her mom because I knew she was worried and scared.
After some time together, the nurse came and said the Dr. wanted to talk with her. I stayed and guarded the purses and coats. When my friend returned she reported how well her mom was doing. We held hands and prayed again and thanked God for the success of that surgery. She mentioned to me that neither of her brothers could be there with her and she said when she had mentioned that I would be sitting with her during surgery and he responded with, "Oh good, Markie will be with you. I feel better knowing he will be with you!"
After we talked, I left and was thankful to be used in this special time. As I drove away from Sanford Health Center I prayed and told God how marvelous it is that he is such a great God who can take care of the Nana's, the Marks, Evie's, Paula's etc. I was reminded that spending special times like this ministering to friends and family is WHAT REALLY COUNTS in our lives!
Blessings!
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment