ONE GRADUATION MISSED
Today was a weird yet difficult day for me. I missed one of the first college graduations in over 20 years. A week ago I did attend my daughter's graduation from Baylor University in Texas. What a proud moment as I watched her receive her masters degree, and with honors I might add! Gee, sure glad I married up in the intelligent gene pool when I married her mother! My wife and I flew to Waco, TX and spent a wonderful weekend with our daughter and son-in-law (we like to refer to him as our son but it sounds kind of funny talking that way at family reunions!!!). But to me, he is the son I never had! He is a wonderful Christian man who loves our daughter with his entire being. He is good for her and she for him! We refer to him as Marc with a C and I am Mark with a K! (Like I said, the brain gene doesn't come from my side of the family!!! Not too original method of identifying two individuals!) Marc with a C suggested we use something like "Smart One/Dumb One" or "Short One/Tall One". He was doing well with his suggestions when he suggested "Young Man/Old Man"! At that point I shut him down and asked him if he really thought he would ever have a chance at asking for my daughter's hand in marriage!!!! He is great even if he makes fun of my hair or lack of it!!!
But it was fun seeing Carrie being hooded the night before graduation. I never thought I wanted her to be a part of gang (get it, hooded?!!!). But it was neat knowing that she had joined her mother and I who had both earlier received the blue hood (stands for the field of education). Saturday was great watching Carrie graduate from Baylor. Baylor held two graduation ceremonies with over 1,900 graduates. We sat in the Baylor arena for over 4 hours! But it was worth it to see Care-Bear, as we call her, walk across the stage. I was as equally proud of her that day as the day she graduated from pre-school. This time she didn't raise up her dress in front of all of the parents! It was gratifying to see my adult daughter now as a "professional". Way to go Care Bear! May best wishes to you in your job search. Mom and I are proud of you for your job interviews and look forward to the many years you now have to support your parents as we age and need more money!!! Just kidding!
Sunday was graduation at the university where I work. Since I am having knee surgery in June, I knew that trying to walk through graduation would be extremely difficult. So I chose to be involved in other activities. Kind of felt like I do on Sundays when I don't go to church. It just seemed like something was missing!
But life goes on and next year I plan to stand with the rest of the faculty and administrators at graduation giving the graduates hugs and handshakes for a job well done!
No comments:
Post a Comment