Yesterday I heard from some former classmates from the time we lived in Jefferson, IA. There was a family by the name of Tarbox. They had 12 children which made our family of 5 kids seem small in comparison. I always thought our household of 7 people was a challenge considering we had only one bathroom. One seldom had single access to that room. I remember my dad taking a bath (because of his arthritic back and hip), my sitting on the toilet and another member of the family doing something at the sink all at the same time! It just wasn't that big a deal back then!
But the Tarbox family had 14 members and lived in a large house about 2 1/2 blocks from where we lived. They never went anywhere together as a family except to Catholic mass and they had to drive 2 vehicles to get there. They seemed like such a nice family. They always had fun being together laughing and playing. My twin brother and I loved going over there. One of the things I remember the most about the Tarbox family was it seemed like about once a week you would see the front screen door go flying open and one of the smallest members in the family announce at the top of their lungs, "It's Popcorn Time!!!!!" Kids from houses all over the neighborhood literally ran to the Tarbox front porch where we would be lucky to get a small handful of popcorn. They had a HUGE wash bucket that would be literally filled to the top with popcorn. It was so much fun.
Well, I've heard from one of the Tarbox boys who was in our class and I look forward to renewing former ties with him. And I thought us Baptists weren't allowed to hang out with Catholics back then. I wonder if my parents or the local priest knew at the time!!!!!!!!!!
Just something to help us all smile about!!!!!
Love ya,
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment