Sunday, September 26, 2010

Our Church

Recently Evie and I were eating lunch at a local eatery. Across from us sat two couples who were in deep conversation about their church. They basically had nothing good to say about their pastoral staff, the members, worship, the newly completed building project and the list just seemed to go on and on! I was getting tired of hearing their negativism!


I looked at Evie and asked her why would someone continue to attend a church they detested so much? It reminded me how important it is to love our churches. Not that they are perfect. Why would they be? After all, they are full of people like you and me!!!


But I love First Baptist Church of Sioux Falls. Our church has gone through some challenging times the past couple of years. We lost pastoral staff, one pastor decided to take 150 members and start a new church (rather unique method of a church divide when done by the former associate pastor!). We hired a new senior pastor we love, Pastor Shawn who went through some challenges in his own ministry and life. Through it all he experienced God's grace and mercy and is able to extend that to the laypeople he serves. Unfortunately about 5 or 6 ordained pastors and their families left our church because Pastor Shawn wasn't perfect. One of the interesting things that happened after several of these "ordained" ministers moved to another Sioux Falls church (the perfect church!) and soon the senior pastor of that church was asked to leave because he had an affair!!!


Our church is seeking God's direction as we serve Him daily. We are growing not only in numbers but in our spirituality which is the most important thing. I am growing through God's grace and mercy on a daily basis as well and so is Evie.


So I encourage you if you are not happy in your church to take a look at what you are bringing to your church. Learn to love it. Tell others about what a wonderful church it is. And support your pastoral and lay leadership staff!


I can hardly wait for weekly worship and if I miss attending I feel like my week isn't the same. First Baptist is helping me to live my faith more actively in my work and in the community.


Praise God!


Markus

No comments: