Friday, August 20, 2010

TODAY GOD REMINDED ME!

I work Mondays - Thursdays in my job (10 hour days) and so Fridays become my errand day and a time to just renew and refresh myself. Now that I am working at STI and teaching 3 day classes, one weekend class and 2 online classes, I am a busy camper. So I had planned all week to spend today on grading and lesson planning for next week.

As I laid in bed after Evie went to work, I started making a list of things I would like to accomplish today. They included calling my barber and getting my hair cut (as my son-inlaw always reminds me, "When you say hair are you referring to it in the singular or plural sense?!!!" I just love Marc Anderson!!!!! I once told him he was no longer in my will because of that hair cut comment and he responded with, "Uh, wow. Like I was going to make a mint off of you old man!" Carrie, couldn't you have found a better guy to marry!!!!! Just kidding. I love my son-in-law more than life. He is the son I never had as I tell him and others!

So after the haircut and a great debate with Claude the barber on politics and my new job, I left for IHOP and breakfast. I leisurely sat and drank my coffee and read the US World Report, then to the library to pick up some new reading material, to Teaching Treasurers to pick up supplies, then the gas station, a call to my brother and to Dollar General .

As I was standing in line at Dollar General, a woman moved her cart back and told me to go ahead that I had fewer items in my cart and that I should checkout first. I thanked her and commented how refreshing it was to see polite people. We then started having a neat conversation (Evie always says I could have a private conversation with a telephone pole except in my case the pole would talk back!!!)

This woman stated that whenever she is courteous to another customer she does it in honor of the women and men who are serving in our armed forces. It is her way to pray for them and to remember what they are doing for our country and the world. I told her that was a neat way to approach it. I looked and she had a bunch of lined baskets in her cart and I commented that my wife loves to make basket liners and give them to family and friends for gifts. She told me that she was a realtor and was buying items for a kids auction the Sioux Falls Realtors were having in a couple of weeks.

We both left the store about the same time and she mentioned that she had a brochure in her car for the fundraiser and if I wanted a copy she would get it for me. She handed me her card and looked funny at me and said, "Did you ever work at USF?" I responded with, "Yes, I am Mark Patterson." She then gave me her card and told me her maiden name. I remembered having worked with her on career counseling and resume writing while she was a student at USF. She commented, "You are a kind man. I remember that. And you really helped me get my life going in the right direction!" Her last comment really made my day, "And you look years younger than the last time I saw you!" Wow!!! I thanked her and told her to have a good day.

As I drove away, I thought about how God had used that little episode to remind me of the ministry he has and will continue to give me. I have always said, "The way you treat others either comes back to haunt you or bless you!" That was a good reminder from God today. While one person at USF didn't think I was needed there anymore, I am reminded almost everyday the ministry I had for almost 27 years at USF and the wonderful ministry I now have at STI. Just yesterday I ran into a mother of a former student from USF who was visiting STI. I told her I wasn't at USF anymore and that I was part of the 20+ who had lost our jobs over 18 months ago. She responded with, "Yes, I heard all about it and many students and alumni are still mad about it!" I responded with, "Oh, don't be mad, be glad. Because now I am at STI and loving my job and the students and faculty!" [Ed. Note. Gee, I wonder why I might look younger than when I worked at USF. Just a little less stress in my life these days!]

God can take a hurt and make it blessing not only in other's lives but our own as well! Praise be to God the provider and sustainer of life! Have a great day!

Love,

Markus

No comments: