Wednesday, August 4, 2010

THE KINDERGARTEN EXPERIENCE

Most of us can remember our first day going to Kindergarten! I got in trouble my first day because when I got there they had tons of GREAT toys to play with. They had wooden barns and toys that I had never seen before. I ended up having to do "time out" in the cloak room. Some of the kids cried because they didn't want to leave their parents. Some of the parents cried because they wondered how their kids would survive that first day! It had to be a tough day for the teacher! But we all got through it. And as I tell my friends and family, "I loved Kindergarten, all 4 years of it!!!!!" Just a little humor there!

Since that first day of school I have realized that life brings many more "Kindergarten" experiences. Here are some of the major ones I can recall:

- Going to the public library by myself and checking out a book!
- Going to church camp and being away from home for a week!
- Going to junior high and trying to get my combination to work on the lockers!
- Moving with my family to Clinton in 8th grade and feeling fearful going from a school of 300 kids to over 900!
- Going away 500 miles to college!
- Working at Camp Wapsi-Y my first summer in college
- Starting my job as a social service consultant!
- Going out on a date with Evie the very first time!
- Experiencing the birth of our daughter Carrie Lynn!
- Having to stay over night in the hospital a few years back for the first time since my birth!
- Starting my job at USF!
- Starting my internship at Augustana!
- My first day in my new job at Westmar!
- Starting the business in Aberdeen and wondering if I was doing it right!
- Quiting my job in Aberdeen and then starting my new job at USF!
- Starting my job at USD!
- And now, starting my new job at STI!

I am sure I am forgetting many other Kindergarten experiences in my life. While I was nervous, God ALWAYS was with me and got me to the next day and the day after that, etc.

The past month I have never stopped learning in my new job at STI! While it is so nice not working in the career development field, I am also in a new field and my brain is constantly learning. But the last two days I have actually felt like I have helped students! Man, what a good feeling! I love my new job and career because I still get to work with college students!

So what's the next "Kindergarten" experience for me? I don't know but I know that God will lead me and give me the gifts I need to perform my job well!

So to all of you who might be experiencing a "Kindergarten" experience in your own life, my advice. Hang in there. God knows all about it and will give you the peace you need to get through the experience.

Blessings!

Markus

No comments: