Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
When I was an elementary student, I was exposed to the world of poetry and one author in particular was Robert Frost. Frost wrote "neat" poetry. Stuff I could relate to. And one of the poems I remembered and still have it posted on my home office wall is the "Road Not Taken". I have used this poem in a number of counseling sessions with college students and in particular alumni and clients from the community who are making career changes.
We often find ourselves at a fork in the road (whatever happened to the knife or spoon)? Of yes, the spoon ran away with the moon or something like that! Right?
But I have found myself often standing at the intersections of life wondering which direction I should travel. Confused, uncertain and sometimes scared that I might make a wrong decision in terms of direction.
But the cool thing about forks in the road is that with God there are no forks. When we come to those forks, if we truly listen to God, He will direct our paths. Because as I have learned it isn't about me. It is about God. It isn't what I want but what I need in my life so I can submit more and more of Mark Patterson to my Lord and Savior!
Now that sounds so cute and such a neat package doesn't it. What I have found is that it is a lot harder than one would think. You would think I would have learned by now to not allow me to get to the forks. But God seems to need to do that with me. I am a slow learner.
God uses certain things in our lives to teach us. In my case it is a swimming pool! My conversation with God goes something like this. "OK God, what do you mean? You want me to do what? Get on the diving board? But God there isn't any water in the pool!" God responds with, "Come on my son, walk out further, trust me!" So I walk out further scared to death. I get to the end of the board and say to God, "OK God now what?" There is a big pause because most of the time God gives me silence and then I hear from God, "JUMP PATTERSON! JUMP!" I respond with, "But God there isn't any water in the pool!" Again silence and I mean silence like maybe for days or even weeks! And then I hear again from God, "Mark my child, JUMP!" I respond with, "But God, there isn't any water in the pool" And God responds with, "Markus, if you love me then you will trust me so my son JUMP!" And so I jump and as I land in the pool there is a miraculous thing that takes place! All of a sudden there appears water in the pool. WOW! DOUBLE WOW!
Well I am at the "fork in the road" again. I have been blessed since leaving USF with some great job opportunities but all temporary. In my current post at USD, they have extended my temporary contract several times. They tell me they want to keep me but the budget is tight and so they will have to see. In the meantime I keep applying for jobs! [ Ed. Note.One of these days when I get another permanent job I am going to have the world's largest bonfire in my backyard with all of the resumes, letters of applications and thank you notes in the world that I have amassed the past year!]
But in the meantime, I stand looking at the road in front of me and how it goes in many different directions wondering with excitement when and where God will reveal my next assignment in this earthly life! You know, I kind of feel sorry for some of you that are worried about keeping your jobs and paying your bills. I know so many people that absolutely HATE their jobs but are afraid of quiting or stepping out in faith largely because of the economy.
To be honest, I am long way past that point in my life. I have learned that the only true security one can have in this life is that with Christ. And I wouldn't change that for a minute. Neither would my wonderful and beautiful wife, Evie. We are in this together with our Lord! So my friends, what is keeping you at the fork in the road in your life? I recommending jumping. It ain't all that bad!!!!
Blessings!
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment