Sunday, February 14, 2010

Evie I Love You!

Today is Valentines Day! Evie and I decided to do lunch in the oven after church instead of the standing in long lines for lunch as a local restaurant. (ed. Note: I just reread that last sentence and no we didn't actually eat lunch in the oven!) Tomorrow we are planning to go our for lunch together since we both have President's Day off!

Words can't express my wife, Evie! She is the best person I know (seriously!). I knew I wanted to share my life with her soon after we started dating. The funny thing is we didn't start dating until 10 years after we had first met. We were both in two different worlds I guess. I was an undergraduate social worker and Evie was an elementary education major.

But God was starting to put us together back then. When I first met Evie we were both asked to go to Iowa city, IA on a Faith at Work team from our church. We had a great time and after that point whenever I would see her on campus we would greet one another but that was about it.

Then later when I was working at USF as their Director of Alumni I got to know Evie once again when we had dinner in Nebraska as I was asking her to be the class executive for her class. It is kind of funny we ever dated later on because while I had asked Evie to select a place for dinner and I believe it took us 4 stops at restaurants before we found one that was open!!!!

Several months went by and I called Evie (didn't have cell phones nor e-mail back then) and asked if she might like to come to campus for the January Interim USF musical. She came and stayed the weekend with Vic and Sue Gordon who later became good friends of ours.

Then for some reason Evie and I didn't see one another until spring when I would travel almost every weekend and meet Evie in Sioux City. We seldom went to movies but usually just eat and talk for hours. We both would then head back to our homes around 2:00 in the morning. On the way back to Sioux Falls I remember praying to God that he would make it very apparent if Evie was the person I should spend the rest of my life with.

All this time I kept wondering if Evie was really for real or not. She was such a fun person. We loved to laugh and joke but could have some VERY deep conversations. She was willing to share from her soul and I liked that. She seemed to bring the best out of me. My brother Tim and his wife Barb both liked Evie (even though one time Evie backed over their garbage cans while leaving their home in Iowa!).

Then on November 4th of that year while Evie was in Sioux Falls for the weekend I proposed to her and the rest is history. We got married the next July.

This past summer we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We have lived in various places and both have had numerous jobs, but God has ALWAYS blessed us individually and as a couple. Each day we seem to grow closer together. This past year has been a wonderful chance to start having nightly devotions and prayer together. That has been a wonderful experience.

I love my wife more than the day I married her. She is a blessing in my life. A great mother to our daughter Carrie and the best friend I could ever ask for! We actually enjoy spending time together!

Thank you God for giving me Evie Petersen. Thank you for giving me the kind of person that you knew I needed as a spouse. Someone who would bring the best out of me and would be my best friend and advocate. May I grow to be a good husband to her and that she might see me as a blessing in her life as well!

Markus

No comments: