Most of us have seen the movie, "Pay It Forward" where we are challenged to live our lives by doing positive acts to others often without them knowing about t. Well., I have experienced some "Pay It Forward" this week I want to share with you.
This past week while we were in Texas visiting our kids over Christmas, it snowed a total of 18". Knowing that, I called a guy from our church who I knew operates a snow removing business. I had asked if he might go over to our house and clean the driveway prior to our return this past Tuesday evening. As we were driving home from Texas (16 hour drive) I called his wife to be sure he had gotten the message. She informed me that he had gone over to our house and someone had already plowed our driveway! Wow someone had done a "Pay It Forward" act! Cool! This week I have been unable to find out what person would be that thoughtful to clean our driveway. So that was a "Pay It Forward" experience and was in the back of my mind.
Then tonight, as I was driving home from work, I spotted a guy whose truck was stalled on the off ramp on busy I-29. I talked with him and he mentioned that he thought he had run out of gas. So I invited him to sit in my warm car as we waited for his girlfriend to come with gas for his vehicle. I was concerned about driving away and leaving this guy in the cold and with the possibility of another vehicle running into the back of his truck.
As we talked he shared that he was on his way home to Sioux Falls from O'Neil, NE where he had been the past 15 days. He shared the frustration of how he had remodeled a bathroom for a women and was suppose to be paid the $15,000 today as he completed the project. The women informed him that she didn't have the money and wouldn't be able to pay him for at least several weeks. He was out of money and cold and upset. But I sensed he greatly appreciated my stopping and helping him out.
What seemed like 30 minutes later his girlfriend dropped some gas off as he picked it up from her on the 41st St. bridge. He poured the 5 gals into the tank and the truck still wouldn't start. He called a friend and he mentioned that perhaps his gas line had frozen as it was bitterly cold outside. So he proceeded to grab a baseball bat from his truck and started hitting the underside of his gas tank situated under the truck. The problem was he couldn't hit the tank and still start the truck. So he asked if I would get into his monster truck and start it while he hit the gas tank. I climbed into the truck and felt like a midget getting in to this vehicle built for a man at least 7'1"!!! All I remember was this guy pushing me on my butt to get me into the truck. I didn't care at that point in that would get this truck started and off the off-ramp!!!!
I got the truck started and then it kept dying. Apparently it wasn't getting enough gas. So he asked if I would get out of the truck and hit the gas tank while he tried starting the truck. So because I wanted to help this guy I laid on the freezing payment while hitting his gas tank under his truck with a small baseball bat. Well the truck started and all I heard as the guy drove away was, "Watch out, I am out of here. Come to the gas station. I want my baseball bat back. "
Well, here I was lying on the off-ramp in front of my car and without any other vehicle in front of me as his truck was long gone! I started getting up from the interstate holding a baseball bat as a guy in another car drove by and asked me if I was drunk of what! I got up, staggered and walked back to my car feeling like it was at least 55 below zero!!!!! As I walked to my car wondering what had just taken place, I looked at the car who was concerned if they were dealing with a News Year's Eve drunk walking on the interstate ramp and said to the people in the car, "No I am not drunk, just get the heck out of here and leave me alone!!" I was totally embarrassed to say the least!
I got into my car frozen to the bone and then it hit me. Did I realize just how hilarious that previous act looked to that car and the 15 other cars backed up behind him on the off-ramp? I started laughing, and laughed and laughed. At that moment I wondered what had just taken place and how could I have allowed myself to be found lying on the off-ramp in minus degree weather, without a coat and gloves but holding a baseball bat!
So off I drove trying to find the guy with the truck I was trying to help! At that moment I thought to myself, "This pay itself forward stuff is for the birds!!" Well I found the guy and the truck as I turned the corner on 41 st Street (the busiest street in the State of South Dakota) and found myself once again parked behind this guy and his truck which had stalled again. I wondered why this picture hadn't really changed from what it looked like on the off-ramp except there were now about 500% more traffic and it was New Year's Eve!
I decided to drive into the gas station so I could help push this monster truck into the gast station. As I got out of my car, a guy from another monster truck had arrived and was trying to tow the truck off 41st Street into the gas station parking lot. The guy I had tried to help came over took the bat, shocked my hand and thanked me and said he was good to go.
I then thought to myself, "I am good to go too! But what had just taken place?" So off to my home to try to explain to my wife what had just taken place! So "Pay it Forward" can have some humor with it as well! What a way to end 2009 as I prepare to celebrate my birthday on New Year's Day and enter a new decade! Whoever said that things are suppose to get better as we age!!!!!
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment