
We just returned from Texas where we spent some wonderful time with our daughter and son-in-law! We had fun, ate good food, laughed a lot and watched my wife and daughter sew for two solid days. That event was terrible for my son-in-law, Marc (with a C) and I. We were stuck watching baseball games on TV instead of the usual HGTV when our women are watching with us. Funny how 2 female votes + 2 male votes= 5 female votes on most things!!!!!!!!! I call it "Gender Prerogative"!
One night as we were driving over for dinner to celebrate Marc's birthday (late) and our 30th Anniversary (not actually until July 14th), Evie looked over and noted that the temperature outside in Waco at 7:00 p.m. was 114 degrees!!!!! To be honest, I asked Evie if I had for some reason died and gone to Hell?!!!!!!
But we had a WONDERFUL time with our kids. They are a great couple and are making the best of their time in a land they would rather avoid but where they are called (Marc to Truett and Carrie to Methodist Children's Home). Sunday we had the privilege of hearing Marc preach at a country church outside of Crawford, TX (see above picture of church). He had spoken there several times previously and they asked him to come back on the 5th. Not that I thought Marc wouldn't do a great job but he did a TREMENDOUS job! And I am not just saying that because he is married to our daughter! Marc had a fantastic sermon (hardly used his notes) and even skillfully walked the congregation through the communion service! He was just an old pro at it! Some church is going to be very fortunate getting him for their pastor. Any of you reading this if your pastor is leaving your church, don't fill the position! Marc will graduate in Dec. 2010 and you couldn't do better than with his talent. I watched Marc. He walked around the sanctuary before the service started and greeted every person in attendance and called many of them by name! What a nice group of Christians! I was impressed.
An interesting side note to Canaan Baptist Church is the fact that it is located within 2 miles of George W. Bush's ranch outside of Crawford. Now you know why you had heard of that name before. It appears that President and Mrs. Bush have attended church at Canaan several times. I asked one of the members if having the secret service folks and the Bush family present caused them a lot of headaches. She responded with little reaction in saying, "No, it is just a metal detector machine at the back of the church. It isn't bad, after all, it is just George!" I thought that comment was cool! That is probably why the Bush family attends that church on occasion.
But, even if it might mean that someday I could meet George and Laura Bush in person, I don't think I am interested in dealing with 114 degree temperatures to do so! Folks in the church were shocked to learn we were from Sioux Falls, SD. They asked a lot of questions about how cold does it get in the Dakotas and I responded with, "You know, I think we both get extreme temperatures in Waco and Sioux Falls. It gets really hot in Waco and really cold in Sioux Falls! But I think I would select the cold. At least we have a lot of between temperatures in South Dakota.
But what a neat experience and what great people in Waco!
Markus
One night as we were driving over for dinner to celebrate Marc's birthday (late) and our 30th Anniversary (not actually until July 14th), Evie looked over and noted that the temperature outside in Waco at 7:00 p.m. was 114 degrees!!!!! To be honest, I asked Evie if I had for some reason died and gone to Hell?!!!!!!
But we had a WONDERFUL time with our kids. They are a great couple and are making the best of their time in a land they would rather avoid but where they are called (Marc to Truett and Carrie to Methodist Children's Home). Sunday we had the privilege of hearing Marc preach at a country church outside of Crawford, TX (see above picture of church). He had spoken there several times previously and they asked him to come back on the 5th. Not that I thought Marc wouldn't do a great job but he did a TREMENDOUS job! And I am not just saying that because he is married to our daughter! Marc had a fantastic sermon (hardly used his notes) and even skillfully walked the congregation through the communion service! He was just an old pro at it! Some church is going to be very fortunate getting him for their pastor. Any of you reading this if your pastor is leaving your church, don't fill the position! Marc will graduate in Dec. 2010 and you couldn't do better than with his talent. I watched Marc. He walked around the sanctuary before the service started and greeted every person in attendance and called many of them by name! What a nice group of Christians! I was impressed.
An interesting side note to Canaan Baptist Church is the fact that it is located within 2 miles of George W. Bush's ranch outside of Crawford. Now you know why you had heard of that name before. It appears that President and Mrs. Bush have attended church at Canaan several times. I asked one of the members if having the secret service folks and the Bush family present caused them a lot of headaches. She responded with little reaction in saying, "No, it is just a metal detector machine at the back of the church. It isn't bad, after all, it is just George!" I thought that comment was cool! That is probably why the Bush family attends that church on occasion.
But, even if it might mean that someday I could meet George and Laura Bush in person, I don't think I am interested in dealing with 114 degree temperatures to do so! Folks in the church were shocked to learn we were from Sioux Falls, SD. They asked a lot of questions about how cold does it get in the Dakotas and I responded with, "You know, I think we both get extreme temperatures in Waco and Sioux Falls. It gets really hot in Waco and really cold in Sioux Falls! But I think I would select the cold. At least we have a lot of between temperatures in South Dakota.
But what a neat experience and what great people in Waco!
Markus
No comments:
Post a Comment