Thursday, March 3, 2011

THERE IS NO BETTER JOB THAN BEING A GRANDPARENT


In visiting with a good friend yesterday, her comment to me about being a grandmother was, "I love being a grandmother! In fact I told my husband, if I could just skip raising our children and go straight to the grandparent role!!!" That made me laugh all day.

That is so true about the role we play as grandparents. Not only do I see my genes in my granddaughter, Vera, I see my daughter Carrie also in there someplace! In fact I think one of the things I love the most about being a grandpa is how it reminds me how much I loved being a dad to Carrie! Carrie was and continues to be one of the finest persons I know. I love her and would do anything for her. When she hurts, I hurt. When she rejoices, I get to rejoice!

The other day as I was talking with Carie on the phone I could hear little VV as I call her sometimes in the background. She was kind of fussing and crying. I asked Carrie if I could talk with Vera. So she put me on speaker phone. I did my crazy grandpa to VV and she immediately stopped fussing and crying! Carrie commented, "Dad, it is so cute, Vera stopped crying and is now trying to reach the phone. She recognizes your voice but can't figure out how you got inside of the phone!"

Aw, that made me feel special. My granddaughter knows who I am. In fact, I think she kind of likes me a little bit. Marc, my son-in-law the other day said, "Dad, you need to know Vera loves you guys!" That was so thoughtful of him to say that. So I feel a tremendous responsibility helping Carrie and Marc raise Vera. Not that they lack any skills needed. Rather, I just want to support them. I pray for my granddaughter each night. Even before she was born, Evie and I prayed that God would protect her throughout her life. And that VV would come to know and love the Lord as she would be born and would grow.

Learning to comfort and cheer up Vera is fun. I just love rocking her and helping put her to sleep. VV even likes tickly scratch just like her Mother. In fact, recently when we were with Marc and Carrie, I was asked to give my daughter a tickly scratch. It is neat because that is something that only Carrie's dad can do and now I can do it for our little granddaughter.

I suppose I should describe what tickly scratch is. It is where I gently move the tips of my fingers across their arms and backs and even hair. It just relaxes them and they love it. Kind of a crazy thing isn't it. Kind of like my "Daddy Sandwich" that I do for Carrie that my dad used to do for me. Here are the directions:

1). Take a slice of soft bread
2). Spread peanut butter (has to be Jiff brand) from cover to cover
3). Place 5 dabs of butter on top of the peanut butter (one dot in each of the four corners and one dot in the middle)

Daddy Sandwiches go especially well with goulash and macaroni and cheese!!!

Thanks Carrie and Marc for giving Evie and me such a neat little granddaughter. And thanks for letting me crazy things like singing the Frog song and just being my crazy personality.

Markus

No comments: