Monday, August 25, 2008

The Joys of a Father


Yesterday my daughter Carrie called. She was kind of having a tough day. Adjusting from graduate school to the "world of work" has been a tough adjustment for her. And then her wonderful husband, Marc is going back to being a full-time student at Baylor after having worked full-time this summer! Both Marc and his sister, who just moved from SD to Waco to attend Baylor Graduate School are both doing something that Carrie has always enjoyed and that is being a student! I shared with Carrie that adjusting to work is hard in fact some days I still struggle with work. Today was one of those days. I swear I saw 5,000 needy students today alone! Rather 4,891 wonderful students and 109 NEEDY "Helicopter" parents! Today a mother scheduled a meeting with her son (a freshmen at USF), herself and me to discuss some issues. Her comment was, "We can meet if my son has to leave you and I can finish up the business we have to talk about!" I about fell off the chair but responded with, "No, that won't happen. If you son isn't in the meeting, the meeting either isn't going to happen or it will end! We need to remember this is all about your son and not about you and me!" After I hung up the phone, I went for a long, long visit outside and used the "Scream Therapy" I had read about in graduate school. Try it. It really works. Just be sure you don't do it in another office with a fellow administrator present! That can cause problems!!!!!!!!!

I thought about that mother and what a helicopter parent she was and then about Carrie who is doing great in her life in Texas even though her heart is really in South Dakota. She knows she and Marc need to be in Waco for the next few years but it isn't her first choice! But she is making good choices and I am so proud of her. When she was born I used to think and wonder what kind of an adult she would be. I knew she was beautiful and smart and had a wonderful sense of humor (sure glad she got all of those qualities from her mother!). But I had no idea how proud I would be of her. She has a good heart. She cares and she wants to make a difference in this world. She knows the difference from right and wrong and understands justice and the need for it in our world. She loves people and they love her. She loves purses and they love her. And lastly, she is a good person because she is willing to pick a stray cat at 12:00 midnight and get her wonderful husband to drive her to the Humane Society. Why? Because that is what good people do for cats!

Carrie, I am so thrilled to be your Pop! And all she has to do is still call me "Dadda" and I melt and she wraps me around her little finger and she gets about anything out of me she wants! But then again, she is such a good person, she rarely does that!

Carrie has such an awesome job. And she really loves it. She gets to spread the news about what a wonderful place the Methodist Children's Home in Waco, TX. She also gets to know the children that live there so when she is talking about their clients they are "real" people! How cool!

I will feel better about my job tomorrow morning after I get through the rest of Monday and realize not all days of the week will be like this one. My daughter will have a great week too. Carrie and I were talking the other day and we both agree that Mondays suck! But we agreed, once we get past Monday every moment is closer to Friday and the weekend!

So please pray for Carrie as she faces this new chapter in her life. Methodist Children's Home in Waco is very fortunate to have Carrie on their staff. And I am even more blessed to have such a wonderful daughter!

Hope you had a good Monday in your life this week!

Marko

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love you dadda! :)