Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm Alright. You Alright?

I worked as a social worker over 30 years ago. A client I worked with by the name of Jesse (I've talked about her in an earlier blog) comes to mind. One of her great lines that she used daily was, "I'm alright. You all right?" Nothing seemed to bother her. Every day was good and she was always "alright"! She was always concerned about the other person. It was a simple approach towards life but it taught me a great deal about moving beyond myself and connecting with other people.

Several friends have asked how I am doing since my knee surgery (3 weeks ago today!). They gave me books to read and a crossword puzzle book to complete so I wouldn't get bored just sitting around at home following surgery!

But actually it isn't working out that way. Prior to my surgery I brought home a large box and briefcase of work that I planned to do in the hours and days following my surgery. What I have found is that I am lucky if I can remember who called me on the phone today let alone what medication I have taken for that particular day! I am just tired all the time.

In other words, I am a walking zombie! I haven't read a single book. I am lucky if I get the newspaper read and do a few crossword puzzles before putting my knee up and taking another nap! Pathetic is really more like it. But as my doctor tells me, "Mark, you need to put a lot of effort into the healing process. You had major surgery!"

So back off you critics who have never had knee surgery before! I will get to my office stuff probably next week when I plan to return to work a few hours a day. I wonder if my staff will find me in my office with my eyes closed taking a nap!

So what has God taught me through all of this? Here is my top 10 Marko List as I call it:

10. I'm Alright. You Alright? I am alright. Since my surgery three good friends have gone home to the Lord, another friend has several weeks to live and other issues affecting family and friends. So I am really all right. That is what God has taught me in all of this.

9. Being blessed is worth a number 9. I have things VERY good.

8. I have the best wife who has nursed me to better health through all of this. She just came into the bedroom to wake me up with a freshly baked Pride of Iowa cookie out of the oven. Life Just Don't Get No Better!

7. I am doing well. I appreciate that my employer has allowed me to organize my workload so I could take this time off to get healthy.

6. While life has slowed down for me during this recovery time, life continues to go on. Great things are happening out there!

5.You truly find out who your loved ones and friends are at times like this.
4. I need to apologize for the many times my friends and family have been ill and I didn't even bother to send a card. Telephone calls and visits are wonderful!

3. I am loved. My wonderful sister (actually my sister-in-law, Barb) stepped in at a time when I came home from the hospital. The same day Evie was called to Nebraska to care for her mother who had been admitted to the hospital. Kind of a wild day for us at our home! But we got through it with God's help!

2. I need to let people help me. Coming to see me, taking me to therapy, out for lunch, mowing my yard, etc. That is a hard thing for me to do. I am pretty independent.

1. I am married to the best person I know. Evie and I celebrated our 29th anniversary last night. Because I can't drive, I wasn't even able to get to the store to buy her an anniversary card or gift. But that didn't matter to her. Her suggestion was that we each write a letter to one another. What a great idea! We went out for a nice dinner last night. I love that woman and just wish I had married her earlier. She is the best thing that has happened in my life next to my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and having Carrie and Marc join our family.

So life is good. I am doing great and getting stronger each day. Today was my third week anniversary. I am walking without a cane some of the time and doing my P.T. God has taught me a great deal about life and what things are important to me. My wonderful twin brother, Tim and his wife Barb came to spend a few days with me this week so that has been a blast spending time with them.

I just wanted you all to know that, "I'm Alright!" I hope that we can all have that attitude about life as Jesse taught me over 30 years ago.
Blessings on you all.

Marko

No comments: