Monday, September 29, 2008

Please Don't Ask!

Since about 2002, I have been taking classes on a part-time basis with the goal of earning my doctorate. No, I don't ever plan to do surgery or dental work on people! That's a scary thought. I have thought about doing a lobotomy on my twin brother Tim who is a complete idiot but I love him anyway. Just kidding Tim! I can't help it that I got the brains and the good looks Tim! Now that makes up for some of those snide comments you make on my blog. The one I like is when you made fun of me for not posting anything new for weeks! My response was, "Gee Tim, I haven't seen your recent post nor even a blog for that matter!!!!!"

About 2 years ago I finished my coursework after starting in the University of South Dakota doctoral program and transferring to the University of St. Thomas program. Best thing I did was to move to the Educational Leadership program thanks to the advice of the President at USF. I loved the coursework and did very well. But since that time trying to work on my data collection and dissertation has felt like I am a dentist pulling one tooth at a time. It has been a very painful experience. Not only doing a doctorate is a very rigorous task one gets very little help in the process. When one asks a professor for advice or answers to questions and gets the response, "Well, what do you think Mark!" it can drive one to drink!

This summer I had hoped to accomplish great things on my dissertation while at home recovering from surgery. What I found was surgery medications take weeks to get out of a person's body and so for at least 6 weeks I could hardly remember my name let alone work on my doctorate. But I am back in the saddle again. Got my loan papers and for some reason that can motivate a person to get done.

So when will I be finished with this sucker? DON'T ASK! In fact my chair told me "Never, Never tell people other than your spouse when you plan to be done!" A close friend who recently got her doctorate from another institution reminded me that the only good dissertation is a finished dissertation. So I've come to realize it doesn't have to be my best academic accomplishment. Just get it done!

Thanks for all of your prayers and the e-mails telling me to keep working on it. I loved my niece Laura's question not long ago, "So what in the hell do you hope to do with that thing anyway!" I loved the word, THING! That is what it will be is a thing. Someone thought maybe I was getting my doctorate so people could call me Dr. Patterson. Please don't do that. A former professor at USF, who thank God was not related to me, had that name and I would not want that title.

Keep praying for me as I try to balance, family, work, church and dissertation. If I die before I am done, please do not bury my data collection with me. BURN IT!!!


Marko

P.S. So what do I hope to do someday with my Ed.D.? What once meant earning a masters degree is now considered earning a doctorate. Many of my collegues in student development have completed their doctoral degrees. Plus I would love to teach on a part-time basis in a graduate student development program. I feel I have extensive experience in private higher education in a number of areas (fund-raising, career services, disability services, academic advising, retention, campus safety, health services, judicial affairs, and being a Dean of Students that could all be I hope a benefit to future professionals. I have been asked to lecture in a few months at a regional university and I am looking forward to that opportunity!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You would be a great prof! I wish my cohort could have had you for a prof, or at least a guest lecturer. That would have been fun. I love you!

Anonymous said...

You might make a good prof, but not such a great brother. I represent that remark about my brother Tim and giving him a labotomy. You stupid idiot, don't you remember when mom and dad had me committed and had the surgery. I was so smart the brains were ozzing out of my ears. They took my brains and pumped them into your cranium because there was nothing in your head and you needed my help. Now I drool everytime a fire truck drives by and I stutter when the doorbell rings, but other that that than that than that than that I feel GREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAATT? Man I could use a bowl of cereal!

Love

Dumb butt brother Tim